First Things First:
1. TREAT YOUR INJURIES FIRST: Many people injured in accidents neglect their own care and can become more concerned with the legal aspects of their injury. You take care of yourself, seek out the best treatment possible and allow your personal injury attorney to organize the rest. One of the most valuable aspects of involving a skilled injury attorney up front is that they will make sure you receive adequate, quality care after any injury.
2. DO NOT GIVE ANY STATEMENTS, WRITTEN OR ORAL, TO ANY INSURANCE ADJUSTER. Let the attorney representing you on your personal injury claim handle these communications. This lets the insurer know you mean business from the outset.
3. Preserve your wrecked automobile; while many insurance companies want to settle quickly on your property damage, occasionally their motive is to destroy the evidence. If your car is towed and put into a storage facility, be sure to tell the attendant that no one is allowed to inspect, photograph or even know that your automobile or truck is in this facility. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS?
Automobiles now have a drive box similar to those found in commercial airlines. These record data such as speed on impact, time of braking, speed prior to braking, et cetera. It is vital that you preserve this.
4. TAKE PICTURES! Yes, a picture does speak a thousand words. Take pictures of any bruises, marks or wounds on your person; if a passenger is with you, ask him or her to do the same. Take pictures of the scene and of your auto or truck and if you have an opportunity, take pictures of the other automobiles involved in the accident.
5. REVIEW YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES. Many policies have a medical pay option. Check to see if your policy does, you may make a claim under this provision to recover medical expenses. Review your limits of liability and check to see if you have underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage. Should your damages exceed the liability coverage of the negligent party, this provision will pick up the differences.
MOST IMPORTANT TIP OF ALL:
CALL AN ASHEVILLE PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY TODAY: